I’m always on the hunt to bring you great people with great ideas who know the dance world and today, that’s exactly what you’re getting. Our guest on the Studio Success Formula Podcast this week is an Author, Academic and Co-Founder of The Centre of Dance Medicine in New York City. She is known for the work she does with dancers so that they can get the most out of their bodies while minimizing injury risks. She’s written multiple books and products on improving the dancer’s technique such as Tune Up Your Turnout and Essential Anatomy. Our guest today on the show is the one and only Deborah Vogel!
In this interview Deborah and I discuss:
The big mistakes you see dance teachers and studio owners making when it comes to training the dancers and performers of tomorrow
- Teaching our students what worked for us
- Overtraining students
- How to assess if you are overtraining students
- Injuries patterns
Advice for teachers and studio owners on how to educate about the body in a more engaging and fun way
- Incorporating educational materials and props into training
Definition of kinesiology and how to use it when working with dancers
- Ways to monitor student progression
- Is pain really necessary to gain success in dancing?
The most common form of injuries and what teachers and studio owners can be doing to prevent them
- Always work towards a dynamic fluid centered balance
- Tips on strengthening activities to prepare the body for longevity
Deborah’s advice for studio owners who want to be building lifelong dancers
- Learning is a process and not a product
- Empower students to become their own best teacher
Listen to the interview HERE.